Sunday, April 5, 2009

1 Nephi 2:3 -- Dreams and Obedience part 2

Lehi just had a dream where the Lord commanded him to leave the city and take his family into the wilderness. Verse 3 says, "And it came to pass that he was obedient unto the word of the Lord, wherefore he did as the Lord commanded him." His family may not have been excited about Lehi's obedience, but it definitely made an impression on one of his sons. In the very next chapter we hear an echo of this verse in a very well known scripture. His son Nephi mirrors his father's example when he says in 1 Nephi 3:7, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded..."

Children seem to mirror their parents in many ways. Obviously Laman and Lemuel prove that it doesn't always work. Everyone has agency to choose their path. I wonder who Laman and Lemuel decided to mirror with their actions? If you are a parent, you must act in a way that your children will see your obedience and follow. You must also be aware of who else might be influencing them. Examine yourself and your influence on your children. Keep a close watch on other influences in their lives. Change your ways NOW so that your children will have as much positive influence as possible in their lives. The choice you make today can make an impact in the lives of your great-great-great grandchildren.

To illustrate this point I will use a personal example. I have many weaknesses, but foul language is not one of them. I have never had to struggle with controlling my tongue when it comes to crude, foul language. I live in a society where I am bombarded on a daily basis with it, yet have no desire to use it. It is not really anything that I can take credit for because I owe it all to my parents who influenced me in such a positive way. I have NEVER heard a foul word come out of my mother's mouth, so it is just natural for me to follow. Where did my mother learn to use clean language? Well, I can tell you that reading through some of my great-great-great grandfather's journals, I came across something interesting. He was traveling across the plains with the pioneers and expressed some disappointment at the language that some of them used. The choices made by him have had a tremendous impact on my life. What kind of impact will you have on your posterity? Make it easier for them by leaving a legacy of goodness.

One last note. In the Old Testament, we learn of the righteousness of Abraham, and the resulting covenant that the Lord made with him. I don't know how many greats are involved, but his is one of my grandfathers. I am blessed this very day because of the choices Abraham made thousands of years ago.

Be a blessing in the lives of your posterity by your obedience and good influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment