Thursday, February 26, 2009

1 Nephi 1:20 -- Nephi's Thesis Statement

A thesis statement is a declaration of your purpose for writing a paper, or what you intend to prove. That's one thing I learned throughout my schooling. We find Nephi's "thesis statement" in the last verse of chapter 1. "But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

When I was on my mission in Germany, we were not allowed to go out on new year's eve. There were too many dangers (drunk people with illegal fireworks for example). I was working in the mission office with 5 other elders and we decided to try to read the whole Book of Mormon in 1 sitting, like Parley P. Pratt. I didn't end up reading fast enough to get all the way through, but made it about half way. One elder made it all the way through. There wasn't time for deep introspection about each verse, but a general theme to the entire Book of Mormon stood out to me: DELIVERANCE. The definition of deliverance includes, "rescue from bondage or danger" and "salvation". We see it all through the entire book! We all need deliverance from things. Lehi's family leaves Jerusalem and makes it to the promised land. Nephi and his brothers escape from Laban and are eventually able to get the brass plates. These types of experiences can be symbolic of our own personal need to escape sin, receive forgiveness, and make it to heaven.

As Nephi's thesis states, we need the "tender mercies of the Lord" in order for us to be delivered from sin and spiritual death. Elder David A. Bednar spoke in general conference about this very topic. You may read it online and I would highly recommend it. Much of my next paragraph is drawn from that talk.

How do we make sure that we are someone who gets those tender mercies? According to Nephi's statement we need to be chosen by him to receive them. The Doctrine and Covenants teaches us that "there are many called, but few are chosen" (D&C 121:34). That is kind of scary to me. Am I called and not chosen? What would prevent me from being chosen? If we read a little further the Doctrine and Covenants answers that question, "And why are they not chosen? Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson— That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness." Is my heart set upon the things of this world? What do I love spending time doing? Do I aspire to the honors of men? Am I more concerned about what others think of me, or what God thinks of me? What are the principles of righteousness, and am I applying them in my life? If we want to be chosen and receive the tender mercies of the Lord, we need to work these questions out.

Nephi says that people are chosen "because of their faith" and "because of their faith" they will be made "mighty even unto the power of deliverance." We cannot deliver ourselves from sin, or from a great many of our problems. We need to have faith in Jesus Christ to receive the power of deliverance. We need his tender mercy. The scriptures are filled with examples of faith and deliverance. Our faith will increase as we read about others who's faith made them mighty even unto the power of deliverance. Through the tender mercies of the Lord and through faith we will be made mighty unto the power of our own deliverance.

"But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." (1 Nephi 1:20)

1 comment:

  1. A thesis statement is a declaration of your purpose for writing a paper, or what you intend to prove – this is certainly true, that’s why I think it would be better to have thesis statement that already express what the thesis idea is. That way, you would already prove what it is, rather than making the people read the whole paper.

    ReplyDelete