Sunday, February 15, 2009

1 Nephi 1:3 -- Nephi Knows

In this verse Nephi bears testimony of his writings. He knows it's true. He experienced it. Some of the experiences he had would be considered unbelievable by many people, but Nephi let's everyone know that this entire record is true. He's not making any of it up. Nephi was honest and since he wrote every word in his books, he knows there is nothing but truth in it.

I have heard a criticism of the Book on Mormon based on this verse, "It's written according to a man's (Nephi's) knowledge, not God's knowledge." The way I see it, Nephi is just saying that he doesn't just believe these things, he knows them. This verse isn't a disclaimer that says "if anything in this record is wrong, it's because I didn't know." This verse is a stamp of validity that says "I know that everything in this record is right. I wrote it with my own hand according to knowledge, not opinions or assumptions."

There's a progression that I teach in some of my computer classes (normally about databases) that goes like this: (raw)Data-->Information-->Knowledge-->Wisdom. Data is just unorganized facts about things. When you pull those together into some organized fashion it becomes usable information. When you analyze that information you turn it into knowledge. Finally, using that knowledge to make smart decisions is wisdom. Nephi is presenting knowledge to us. Let us use it to make wise decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment